Friday, June 8, 2012

The 16 Pound Dictionary

You heard right...16 pounds! Well, 16.4 to be exact.
I bought this gigantic dictionary at an auction a few weeks ago. Old books are great for decorating. I bought it with the intention of selling it, but when I got it home and looked at it more closely, I couldn't let it go.
Besides being so heavy, the dictionary is 7 inches thick!
When I opened it up, I found something more interesting...
 This was the only wrinkled page  in the entire book. Do you see that special stamp?
It is stamped SPECIAL SERVICE LIBRARY.
This edition was printed in 1951.

And stamped on other pages is this...
And this...
This dictionary was once in a library at a U.S. Army base in France!
How did it end up in Georgia? I'd love to know!

It is filled with beautiful pictures!
Here are just a few...




And even better...I only paid $4 for it!
Pin It

Linking to:
Along For The Ride

11 comments:

  1. How cool is that!!! I'd happily paid $4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you! What a great find, I love old stuff like this. The pictures look amazing. Can't wait to see what you do with some of the pages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $4.00 -- seriously??!! That is the most beautiful thing -- I so appreciate these old Dictionaries and books in our age of technology where they seem obsolete -- thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a great treasure...it could be used for so many display ideas...but you need to read it first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much nicer than just using Google lol and if all else fails, it will be THE most wonderful door stop cum conversation piece, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a dictionary like that - but it comes in two volumes. Both huge nonetheless. Like you I just LOVE it!
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool! What a great find. The pictures are beautiful.

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure!!! I love old books too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...