Monday, December 1, 2014

DIY Altered Readers Digest Books

Someone recently gave me a bunch of old Readers Digest books to use for craft projects. I used them to make vintage style books to be used as Christmas decor. I have to say that this is one of those projects (like so many) that I became a little obsessed with. Sometimes I just can't stop myself, and if one turns out cute, then 12 or so might be even more cute! Well, actually, I didn't make quite that many yet.

Here's how I did it...

I covered the book cover with 2 coats of gesso...

I picked images from the Graphics Fairy website that I wanted for the books and printed them out on regular computer paper. If you use an image with writing, you'll need to print it in reverse.

I coated the front cover of the book with Mod Podge and then laid the image down onto the book...


I used a hotel key card to press the paper firmly onto the book.
You have to work quickly or the paper is difficult to peel up.

Slowly peel the paper off of the book...

If part of the image doesn't transfer, or some of the paper sticks to the book, don't worry, that just adds to the vintage charm once the next step is complete.

Next, I took some dark brown wax and rubbed it over the book with a rag. Anywhere paper is left will be a little darker which enhances the aged appearance.



It would be perfectly fine left as is, but what is Christmas without a little sparkle?!!! So, I added a light coat of Mod Podge, then sprinkled the book with glitter...


It's just the right touch...



Remember, I said I was a little obsessed, so here are a couple more...


For something a little different, I added red and green glitter to this one. Then I glued on a bow I made using a strip of fabric and added a small candy cane


These books are so much fun to make! I think I'll go make a few dozen more!

Pin It

Linking To:
  Someday Crafts, Sew Much A Do, Ginger Snap CraftsCreations By KaraRae Gun Ramblings, Ivy & Elephants,   Seven Thirty Three The Shabby Creek Cottage, Seven AliveBear Rabbit Bear Crafts, Made In A Day, Katherine's Corner, Redoux, Chic On a ShoestringSimply Sweet Home, The Shabby NestMomnivore's Dilema, Somewhat Simple,   Live Laugh Rowe, Have A Daily Cup Of Mrs Olson, Simply Designing, Truly LovelyThe Cottage Market,  Funky Junk Interiors, BowdabraTatertots & Jello,   Blissful & Domestic, A Vision To Remember, Boogieboard Cottage, Lovely Crafty Home, DIY Showoff, Craft-O-ManiacDIY Home Sweet Home, Under The Table and Dreaming, Keeping It Simple, Homemaker On A Dime, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, The Dedicated HouseLines Across, Coastal Charm, Reasons To Skip The Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts, Chef In Training, Nifty Thrifty Things, Cherished Bliss, A Bowl Full Of Lemons, Me & My Boys, Mad In Crafts, Flour Me With Love, Not Just A HousewifeToday's Creative Blog, Tip Junkie Homework, Kammy's KornerI Gotta CreateThrifty 101 Lamb Around Domestically SpeakingThe Kurtz Corner,     C.R.A.F.T.,  Finding Fabulous, The Answer Is Chocolate, Skip To My Lou, Sumos Sweet Stuff, The Thrifty Home, Or So She Says, Diana Rambles, Adorned From AboveCedar Hill Ranch, Classy Clutter, Flutter Buster, Crafty Texas Girls, Twelve O Eight, Nap Time Creations, The Shady Porch, JoJo And Eloise, Hope In Every Season, The Foley FamHouse Of HoffOur Home Away From Home, Living Well Spending Less, Remodelaholic, A Lived In Home, Flamingo ToesVMG206 Finding Silver Pennies, Mad Cap Frenzy Gingerly MadePink WhenMinnette's MazeMade To Be A Momma Start At HomeLil Mrs ToriHomecomingThe Vintage FarmhousePink Recipe BoxSweet HauteTable For SevenBe BetsyIt Happens In A BlinkOne Dog Woof, 4 You With Love, A Stroll Thru LifeA Bright And Beautiful LifeCrafty Goodies Live Love CreateThe Koenigs CreateBloom Designs,French Country Cottage, Daisy Cottage Designs, Orchard Girls, Elizabeth Joan Designs, The Scoop, Stone Gable, Knick Of Time, Lou Lou Girls


Photobucket/

22 comments:

  1. That is so clever!!! I love it!

    Katie @ Fun Home Things

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun idea! I can't wait to try that Mod Podge transfer technique.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I really enjoy altering books...Maybe I'll do some with christmas images, you, dear, inspire me with this beauties:)
    Hugs
    Marinela

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great look for some less than gorgeous originals. You have me wanting to do this....I guess that means a trip to Goodwill....sigh! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I hopped over from Make It Pretty Monday! I love how your books turned out--such a cute & clever upcycle! Blessings, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome, Virginia! I love the glitter and that bow, to!
    Thank you for sharing your post this week at Brag About It Link Party on VMG206. I'm featuring you at Next Weeks Brag About It Link Party, Monday at midnight!
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great - I have to try it. Does it matter if you use an ink jet or laser printer with the mod podge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an ink jet printer. I'm not sure if this will work with a laser printer.

      Delete
  8. I really love these. Do you do anything to the page edges?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so caught up with trying to find time to do this, I forgot to thank you for sharing it at Make It Monday! I am planning some for Valentine's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE these cute books...so much...that I will feature them at my party on Monday.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this project...looks like a lot of fun...can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea! I find these books at yard sales all of the time, but didn't know what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these! I have the same question as Contessa... Ink jet or laser printer?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it. I am the same way when a project grabs my interest - I want to make a dozen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these books! We have a thrift store here that has a section with free contemporary books, many of them hardcover. I adore vintage books and now you've given me an idea for transforming those free books into these wonderful objects of art. Thank you! I found you at The Graphics Fairy. Awesome! ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Guess who's featured again when my link party opens tonight? Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have seen quite a few cork key chains on the web and decided I would make some. After all, I have NO shortage of corks. Most of th...Web Design Company In Bangladesh

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...